The Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a great concern of everyone because it happens to many of us but the cause is still unknown. However, we can still reduce the risk of suffering IBS.
Overview of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS is a common disorder affecting the large intestine (colon). IBS tends to cause cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, nausea, fatigue, diarrhea and constipation. Sometime it can also cause sick, headache, backache, muscle pains, heartburn, and bladder symptoms. This condition usually happens in a long-term.
The cause of IBS is not really clear. However, some recent researches have stated that it might occur due to the over activity of the muscles of the gut, allergy to some kinds of food, or bacteria in the gut.
How to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
There are plenty of remedies to get rid of IBS. You can try one of the natural methods below because they are really simple but effective and you can do it at home.
You can get more fiber through foods or any supplements. Fiber is not absorbed straight into your body but stays in your gut. Some kinds of food that are rich in fiber are fruit, beans, vegetables, cereals, bread, which are low-calorie and loaded with a variety of vitamins and nutrients. Not only benefits to your overall health, but they can also help with the unpleasant symptoms of IBS.
However, fiber is not effective to everyone. Some studies show that high-fiber diet can have a few negative effects on some people. It may lead to diarrhea and can even make the symptoms become worse. Therefore, you should be careful of using fiber.
There are two main kinds of fiber:
- Soluble fiber: oats, spatula (psyllium), nuts, seeds, some fruits, and vegetables. These foods you should avoid to eat while having IBS.
- Insoluble fiber: corn bran, wheat bran. These food are great for you to reduce the symptoms of IBS
Probiotics are live bacteria which are beneficial for human body. They are in fermented foods such as yogurt, cheese or ice-cream. Getting more good bacteria to your body can protect you from harmful bacteria.
If you want to eat probiotics products as a home remedy for IBS, it is recommended that you should keep using the same brand of product for at least 4 weeks to monitor its effect. If the first product that you use is not effective, you can try another one after 4 weeks.
Peppermint can decrease IBS symptoms effectively such as cramping or diarrhea. The menthol oil inside it can work as an antispasmodics. It can also help you get rid of bloating, gas and have better digestion.
How to use:
- Add 2 or 3 drops of this oil to a quarter glass of warm water. You should use this drink 3 or 4 times daily. Keep using it until you feel better
- Another option is to put some dried peppermint to a glass with boiling water inside it. Leave it there for about 10 minutes. You should drink this mixture 2 or 3 times daily
Note: You should just take an enough amount of peppermint. Otherwise, it can lead to nausea or heart problems.
Ginger can ease not only bloating and gas but also your inflammation and help your muscles relax. Therefore, ginger can be another good remedy for IBS.
How to use:
- Add a half spoon of ginger after being grated to a glass of hot water. Leave it there for about 10 minutes. After that, take the ginger out and add put some honey to the glass and drink it twice or 3 times daily to reduce the cramp or abdominal pain.
- Another option is to grate a slice of ginger and put a spoon of honey to it. You should use this mixture of ginger and honey before having lunch.
Note: Ginger is not good for those who have high blood pressure.
Another amazing remedy for eliminating IBS is cabbage juice. It contains some elements such as sulfur or chlorine, which can be helpful for cleansing mucus membranes.
How to use:
- First, wash a cabbage and slice the cabbage to make it become smaller pieces
- Next, put them into a blender. After that, you can have a cabbage juice
- Then, drink a half cup of this cabbage juice 3 or 4 times daily
- If you suffer from constipation, you should drink this juice immediately.
Note: Cabbage juice can lead to bloating or flatulence in some people
Fennel seeds can cure the intestinal spasms and bloat. In addition, it is also used for getting rid of fats in the digestive system and prevent the over-production of mucus in your intestine.
How to use:
- Add a half spoon of crushed fennel seeds to a glass of boiling water. Leave it there for about 10 After that, strain the tea and drink it. You should use it 2 or 3 times daily
- Another option is to use a half teaspoon of dry roasted fennel seeds powder with warm water twice a day
Chamomile is very rich in tannins, which can reduce symptoms of IBS. It can also ease the inflammation in the intestines and have you get rid of abdominal spasms.
How to use:
- First, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile to a cup of boiling water
- Next, leave it there for about 15 minutes until it becomes warm
- Then, train the chamomile flowers and put a little lemon juice into it
- Drink the tea about 3 times daily.
For more home remedies for IBS, click here.
Foods To Avoid
While using these home remedies for IBS, it’s necessary to know some certain types of foods that you need to stay away from:
- Foods that have in soluble fiber
- Grains (oatmeal and barley)
- Root vegetables, like carrots and parsnips
- Fruits berries, oranges, grapefruit and mangos
- Fried Food
- Bean and peas
- Caffeinated Drink
- Processed Food
- Diary products
Photo by HealthHomeHappy.com